Sunday, December 6, 2015

Ways to Communicate with Friends Around the World (for free!)

Meaning, me. Communicate with me. ;)

Job and I have a home phone (landline, how quaint!) that we can use to call the U.S. of A. for no extra cost, and both our cell phones are the same. However a lot of friends in the U.S., and around the world don't have that perk. But you really don't have to pay extra money to be able to text, call, and even video chat. Here's the low down on how to get around:



1. Viber-This app was recommended to me by a friend who uses it to communicate with her fiance in Sri Lanka. Job and I love it, and it's what we used 90% of the time while we were apart this summer. There are a ton of fun emojis/stickers, free texting, free video chats, and free calling as long as you are both connected to internet. It's available worldwide, and on any device. Can't beat it.

2. What'sApp. This is a great app for texting and sending photos. A lot of people in Mexico use this app, even within the country. You really don't have to pay for unlimited texting if you can use an app like this.

3. Kakao. I used this during our trip to Korea. My sister Maren taught me about it (she lived in South Korea for 18 months), and it's used a lot in Asian countries. It has good calling abilities, and some fun features (check out the voice changing feature. Job and I laughed like maniacs for the longest time).

4. Talkatone. Get a free number that you can choose, and call/text U.S. numbers for free anywhere in the world. Not as useful if you want to call non-U.S. numbers. But a good basic service.

5. Facebook chat and video calls. I didn't even know you could video chat on facebook. My 16 year old cousin just taught me. That's how he has communicated with his friends in the U.S. while he has been down here living with Job. I guess that's how the young 'uns do it these days.


There are a TON more apps that allow calling and texting for free with an internet connection. These are just a few I have and use. If you find another one you love, let me know! And download one of them so you can text me ;)

Happy {free} international communicating, friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment