Wednesday, March 2, 2011

New Favorite Snack-Kale Crisps

I think this is one you'll either love or hate, but I am on the love side! :) It is healthy, inexpensive and super quick to do. I always love finding ways to replace traditional bagged chips because I love the crunch but know they are not the healthiest for me. These give me crunch and are healthy so, win-win. I didn't think dark greens like this would get so crispy but they really just fall apart in your mouth with a delicate crunch. O.K. I'll stop sounding like a commercial and just tell you the dealio:

Kale Crisps

  • bunch of kale, washed and dried well
  • olive oil
  • kosher salt
  • Other spices if desired (garlic powder, chipotle, cayenne etc...)

Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Line cookie sheet with tin foil. Tear kale into pieces, discarding the thick rib in the middle. Place pieces of kale on cookie sheet and drizzle or spritz with olive oil. Season with a small amount of salt and any other spices you might want (really good just with salt too). Cook for 10-12 minutes but WATCH CAREFULLY. They can go from looking limp to black and burnt quickly. They should be crispy, a teeny bit browned on the edges, but mostly dark green still.

Remove from oven and crunch away! :)
This was my second batch. Those caps up there were for a reason-I burned my first batch ;)

1 comment:

  1. sounds yummy!
    i love crispy veggies.
    i will def try this out
    julie

    ReplyDelete