I have always wanted to try and make pesto. But pine nuts are pretty expensivioso am I right?! But we always have walnuts around so I found this recipe and it is to die for. We ate it with chickpeas, on our sandwiches, over plain whole wheat pasta, with grilled chicken etc... I also froze some for later. I am so looking forward to busting that out and eating more of it :)
Basil-Walnut PestoServings: 6
- 2 cups packed basil leaves (approx. 2 oz)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons softened butter (optional, I didn't use it)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Place basil, olive oil, walnuts, garlic and salt (if using) in food processor.
- Blend until thoroughly combined.
- Add Parmesan and butter (if using) and blend 5-10 seconds more.
- Just before serving, add 2 Tbsp of hot pasta water from cooked pasta.
- Serve over pasta with bread and salad.
Yay, more green food! :)