Monday, September 7, 2015

Listen, Watch, Read-II


1. Alabama Shakes. Like everyone else in the world right now. Because they are fantastic. I also recommend looking up a video, because Brittany Howard is awesome to watch.
2. Darwin Deez. Mainly just the song Radar Detector. Sorry/You're welcome.
3. Goat Rodeo Sessions. This is not a super new album, but it's one I always come back to over the years and it never disappoints. It's perfect to put on while working in the kitchen. Listen on spotify, youtube, apple music, etc.
4. What Happened, Miss Simone? This was an emotionally intense documentary. Now that I've learned about the woman behind the music, they can't be separated. She was a beautiful, strong, and very complex individual. There is so much more to say about this that I could take up a whole post. It's a good one to discuss. Watch on Netflix.
5. The Jim Gaffigan Show. Because he is funny, I like his humor, and I like food. Watch it here. 
6. The West Wing. I am becoming a wing nut. It's quick, intelligent, and funny. Watch it on netflix.
7. Quiet, by Susan Cain. Anyone who has had any sort of semi-long conversation with me lately has heard me talk about this book. I think it's a very important book, and one everyone should read; introverts, extroverts, and those who don't like those labels ;) It just really opens up a great dialogue about the importance of introverts, and how everyone in this world can learn to recognize and appreciate certain skill sets. A really good book. Have I said that?
8. Where'd You Go, Bernadette, by Maria Semple. This is a book for fun. It's quirky, keeps you interested, and is one of the most original books I've read in a while. If a really awesome director takes over the movie version it could be delightful. But I'm guessing it might be a "stick to the book" situation.
9. The Goldfinch, by Donna Tartt. There is a reason this book is acclaimed, and why it won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction. It's a riveting story. It is beautifully written, and in my mind, while it did have some familiar themes/narrative, it doesn't fall back on cliches or tired story lines to interest readers. It is a cool 784 pages long, but doesn't at all feel like a chore to get through.


And that's what I've been Listening/Watching/Reading lately. I've got lots more to share in the near future, (which makes me realize I am a big media consumer...good/bad?) so look out.

No comments:

Post a Comment